Thursday, May 25, 2006

Grindin' My Gears


"I'VE GOT A LOTTA PROBLEMS WITH YOU PEOPLE!" Well, not you my friends and readers, but with a few people out there. Now that my top 10 list is completed I have to actually come up with topics on my own, from scratch! There's been a few things that caught my attention the last few weeks and some passing ideas I thought might make for good discussion; beacause that's what this blog is all about: talking about issues. Ok, I know some of you are saying "What issues, Ichthy?....All you do is go on and on about your childhood memories, dreams, and curly fries." And you would be correct. That reminds me of one summer when I went to Orlando with my family....nevermind.

Alright, let's talk issues here. You know what really grinds my gears? The Dixie Chicks. They've recently come out with their new cd Taking the Long Way They've gone from being Country Music's bluegrass roots darlings to the black sheep of the patriotic country music family. Specifically, the lead singer, Natalie Maines. After making several anti-Bush/anti-Iraq war, etc comments during concerts and interviews, Fatalie, oops I mean Natalie, the Dixie Chunk, has a lot of her fans' gears ground into a fine metallic powder. Some of their new songs deal with how they're not ready to "make nice" and refuse to apologize for their political criticism. And you know what, Natalie? I don't want you to apologize. I strongly believe and support an American's right to free speech, freedom to protest, to speak out against OUR government...the people WE THE PEOPLE put in the office. They're only there because they work for us. Stand strong Natalie, speak your mind. But please just get over it and go back to entertaining us. The only time your pie hole should be open, as an entertainer, is when you're on the stage singing. You've got a great voice; just use it for singing about Wide Open Spaces and a fed up wife killing her abusive hubby, Earl.

Speaking of female singers who are pissing me off this week: Joan Baez is going out on a limb to protest the destruction of a 14 acre wooded area in South Central LA. Again, I have no problem with someone protesting. It's just agonizing to be constantly bombarded by celebrities these days who feel as if it is their obligation to champion a cause for this interest group or that Politically Correct mainstream ideal. They're entertainers and they're successful for much the same reason OUR government officials are in office, because WE put them there. WE buy tickets to their concerts and their movies, TV shows, etc. They entertain us....that's all I want from Hollywood....entertainment. And don't get me started on the LACK of entertainment at the box office the last 2 years! Wait, here's an idea. We need to convince more celebrities to climb trees...the tallest trees we can find....like redwoods maybe. Tell them we won't cut the trees down as long as they stay up there protesting. And once they settle into their rich and famous arboreal lifestyle maybe we'll get some peace and quiet...but if they try to slip back down the tree trunk somone should be waiting with a chainsaw....just give it a quick "ruurr! ruuurrrr!" rev of the motor to help them scurry back up.

That's enough talking issues for me this week. Next time I think I'll discuss a related topic: American Idol. I hate the show. I'm glad it's over. But there's something...someONE who's been grindin' my gears a lot this year. Check your local listings for more to come.

Ichthyophile, OUT!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the dixie chick kick ass and i think its great that they dont fit the mold.i think that she should absolutly NOT apolgize.our government is a sad excuese for a goverment. a president is supposed to make laws and help make the right dessisions. not break laws and fuck up this world....


<3

The Ichthyophile said...

yo mamma!

Anonymous said...

PREACH IT BROTHER MATTCHEW!!!! I 100% AGREE!!!!

The Ichthyophile said...

Laura, I suggest a sack full of oranges....leaves no outer signs of injury. i'm just saying...so I've heard.

I think the dixie chicks are going through a little rocky period but they seems to be developing into a more "pop" style band a la Shania Twain. The broader your fan base (pop) the better off you will be.

The Ichthyophile said...

I'll reserve my hatred for A.I. for now, Laura- even though it is the scourge of our primetime viewing society.

TB Fly said...

Everyone is always looking for someone else to blame. The problem that I have with Natalie Maines is not that she bad mouthed President Bush and our government, but that she chose to critize our president and government on foreign soil. That was a big "No" "No". She has the right to say whatever she wants to say because in this country we have freedom of speech. It's funny how Natalie Maines and other people belittle this country and what it stands for, but still excercise their rights as American citizens. What messed up logic!
Whatever happened to taking pride in our country? We should take pride in our country whether or not we happen to agree with its current leader. SheDaisy anyone?