Wednesday, March 08, 2006

New, Yes...But Improved?

Two years ago today I began a blog, Hypolimnetic Thoughts . But, after going through a major creative slump in 2005, as well as having a lot of frustrating reliability problems with Tblog, I've decided to pack up and move to blogspot. Several of my friends use this site and seem to be quite happy with it....so here I am.
I thought a good way to introduce myself to other blogspot users would be to share my top 10 favorite blog posts from Hypolimnetic Thoughts. Today's #10 has to do with one of my favorite places......Beaumont Street, Martin, Tennessee. I sometimes wish I was still living there. So, without further ado:


The House on Beaumont Street
03.30.04 (1:30 pm)
That address has a lot of special memories to a few of us UT Martin folk. Sandra, her boyfriend/fiance/now husband Jason, Emily, and I all lived there for sometime. Emily preceeded me as a tenant there. It was a 2-bedroom house with a basement and a modest backyard. The 2nd bedroom could better be defined as a very large closet with unequal sides and a couple windows and its own tiny closet. Stuck on the ceiling were a bunch of plastic glow in the dark stars. I'm not sure which tenant put them up there, but they decided to leave them behind to bring joy and amazement to the room's future inhabitants. There are so many memories about that house..where do I begin?

I first was introduced to this house through my friend Candy. She was the current resident of the tiny room during spring and summer of 98. I ended up staying there more than in Jackson where I was supposed to be staying that summer for an internship. But my best memories really started in spring of 99 when I took my turn as "the roomie".. Sandra would cook those good meals and that awesome sweet tea. I would play with smokey their mini-dachshund, and jason would lay around and talk about movies, tv, UT vols, Emily and her goofy self, and many other interesting topics. I had a miserable job in McKenzie working at a furniture factory. Every evening when I got home I would go to the fridge and pull out a pop-ice. Each color indicated how bad my day was. BLUE--very bad...leave me alone...GREEN I shot my thumb with the nail gun only once but it didnt hurt that bad.......RED----it must be wednesday because this week is dragging along......ORANGE---ahhh....friday, I got off at 11:30!!! I dont remember what PINK and PURPLE were but I'm sure somewhere in the range of "if I have to make ONE mor eottoman I'm gonna puke!!!!"

Beaumont was host to many a celebration. Sometimes it was for someone's graduation. Once for a wedding. One really great one for halloween. And one, I cant remember what the reason was, but I ended up getting my toes painted by Emily...that's actually my first real memory of MLE....waking up to see her painting my toes pink.....I told her if she's gonna do it..gimme a manly color..metallic green I think. Sandra still has that picture stashed away for blackmail purposes I think. Each party would end with jason getting a picture taken of his Harem on the couch. All the girls would pile onto the couch with him in the center...say cheese!! (insert middle finger and goofy smirk here). I dont know much about the basement other than it smelled kinda funny, had a wet floor, and that's where the laundry machines were.

I remember when the time came to move out. Jason and Sandra got married and moved to clarksville and I was the last person in the house. All of the furniture was gone...trash was laying around in the corners...empty, autographed bottles still filled the cabinets. It felt like I was in some classic sitcom where one of the characters walks around and reminices about the good ole times of a home or hang out and hears the echos of all the people who once were there.....sandra complaining about someone she doesnt like on real world, jason yelling when some wrestler gets slammed to the mat on monday night RAW, smokey and all the other dogs barking at the door whenever someone knocks....the smell of spaghetti or pork chops....loud music blasting.....me doing dishes....ahhh...those were the days. when I packed my stuff up I left a few of those stars on the celing in that tiny bedroom......I wonder if they're still there?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Diznang...although you can call me hypo matt from time to time.

Greg Akers said...

Congrats on the new digs. Looks and reads great!

I'm gonna call you Matt the Fish. Or Mott the Hoople, I'm not sure which.

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, just checking out your new spot. :-) How-dee.

The Ichthyophile said...

greg, call me anything just don't call me late for dinner...or poker!

TB Fly said...

Hey Matt It's your good friend Topaz Butterfly. The new blog site looks good. I should have known that you would use green as your background color. I like this blog entry. You wrote it in such a way that it is easy to visualize what is happening with you and your friends. Kudos!

Anonymous said...

tackle me ;)

Anonymous said...

Matt,
I really enjoyed reading that. Hope you're having a great Friday!

Greg Akers said...

Here's my summary of Matt's new blog:

New name. New design. Same old frequency of ladies flirting with Matt.

It's feels like home already.

The Ichthyophile said...

*play the pimp music*

awwwww yeeaaaauuuhh!